Thursday, March 6, 2014

Featured Volunteer - Elodee

I read about Cat’s Cradle Shelter while cruising Facebook.   We visited on a Saturday in November of 2013 and began cleaning room one the following Tuesday.  As I have told others, I have been a volunteer for humans from 0-98; it was time to try cats which are a new and welcome experience.  




I am of the age where a camera was only for pictures of family gatherings, firsts, and babies bundled up.  The best pictures I have are images in my mind.  One is of a green-eye barn cat named Sapphire, which makes no sense because sapphires are blue.  J.  It was after supper and mother and I were doing dishes.  Sapphire jumped up on the dog house which was below the kitchen window and meowed.  All you could see in the darkness were her green eyes, her pink tongue, and the frost on her whiskers.  It was her way of signaling she wanted to come in to eat.
This note would not be complete without mention of Max, a smoke tipped Persian I bought from a person using our durable medical service.  I brought him north with me from Kansas.  Although deceased for a few years now, we still hear him jumping off the bed in the north room.  Max was my ‘go to’ guy during my years as a single parent.  He kept many secrets.  RIP
My favorite cat moments at the shelter include Jedi, now adopted, who liked to sit on my back while I was scrubbing the floor.  If I stopped he would chew on my earrings.  The joke at home was, if he swallows the earring, we will have to adopt him!  There is something very special about sitting quietly and observing the colony.  It is a time of solitude shared with a variety of personalities.  It is touching for me to have them wait for lap time. 

My name is Elodee and it is an honor to be associated with this fine organization.